Thursday, November 22, 2012

Archeological Digs

My Father once owned some land 2 miles West of Bassfield.   It was once the home of Choctaw Indians.  I found hundreds of arrowheads on this land.  Nearby a lake was built and in about the middle of the 80 acre lake there once was an Indian mound. It has since been destroyed in the building of the Lake. 

I got interested in studying the locations of places where the Indians formerly lived.  When I was a small boy in the 1930s I remember some Indians came to Bassfield from Oklahoma to visit where they had buried relatives.  This was South of Bassfield on the old Williamsburg Road on Holiday Creek.   Later I was researching land deed records and found where some Choctaws had owned land in the area. 

Later in doing research work I found written articles stating Holiday Creek had many Indian antiquities along its banks.  About three miles South of Holiday Creek’s  Bass- Burkett Road, west of Bassfield,  there is an Indian Mound.  I located another Indian Mound on Black Creek on land once owned by Wince Lott who once drove a Trailways bus thru Bassfield on the Hattiesburg - Natchez run.  I also located another Indian mound  near Highway 589 Black Creek Bridge in Lamar County.  

Several years ago I attended the Choctaw fair in Neshoba Country, Mississippi and their display of Indian arrowheads were not as impressive as ones I had collected. The most impressive display of Indian Arrowheads I ever saw were in a building a few miles  Northeast of Seminary, Mississippi. I don’t recall the name of the man who owned them.  

After an antiquities law was adopted, I quit looking for arrowheads.

No comments:

Post a Comment